Monday, September 17, 2012

Incident Mar. 15, 2012 - Florida - Frank A. Wacha Jr.


View Shark Attacks 2012 in a larger map

March 15, 2012
Frank A. Wacha Jr.
Jensen Public Beach, Florida

61 year-old Frank A. Wacha Jr. has been surfing for the past 50 years. Thursday was the first time he had ever been bitten by a shark. Wacha was surfing in choppy, murky water 120-150 yards off of Jensen Public beach when he felt something attach itself to his left arm.

"It felt just like I had been hit," said Wacha "My arm was out of the water," he said. "I looked over and saw this shark. We were eye to eye."

Immediately after biting him, the 5-foot bull shark let go and disappeared beneath the murky water.

"The first thing I thought was, 'I need to get a wave and get to shore,'" Wacha said. "Then I thought, 'I hope I don't lose function in this arm.' I knew I wasn't going to lose the arm because it was still attached."

Wacha was able to stay on his surfboard and paddle into shore. Lifeguards were able to stop the bleeding and his wife drove him to the hospital. The bite mark reaches from his forearm to his upper arm, thankfully there was no permanent damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment